Timo de Wolff
Department of Mathematics
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-3368
I am a Visiting Assistant Professor at the Department of Mathematics at the Texas A&M University. My mentors here are Frank Sottile and Maurice Rojas.
Here you can find my CV.
This is my last semester at Texas A&M. In July 2017, I will start a position at the Technical University Berlin as head of a newly formed Emmy Noether Junior Research Group on "New Certificates of Nonnegativity and Their Application in Science and
I intend to hire 2 PhD students for this group in Summer 2017. If you are interested, then you can already contact me.
Office: Blocker Building, 601D [Campus Map]
Office hours: Monday 1:00 - 2:30 pm and Wednesday 2:30 - 4:00 pm.
- You can always come by my office hour without prior notice.
- If you are unable to see me during my official office hours or if you would like to discuss a delicate matter like grades or a potential Q-drop, then please send me an email to arrange an individual appointment.
Teaching in Spring 2017
- April 21 - 23, 2017: "TAGS 2017", Rice University, Houston, TX.
- May 22 - 25, 2017: "SIAM Conference on Optimization", Vancouver, Canada.
- June 12 - 16, 2017: "MEGA 2017", Nice, France.
- July 10 - 19, 2017: "FoCM '17", Barcelona, Spain.
- July 31 - Aug. 4, 2017: "SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry", Atlanta, GA, USA. Thorsten Theobald and I will organize a minisymposium on "Real Algebraic Geometry and Optimization" at this conference.
- Spring, 2018: "Tropical Geometry, Amoebas, and Polytopes", Semester Programm at the Mittag-Leffler Institute in Djursholm, Sweden.
- 02/15/2017: Both my articles "A Positivstellensatz for Sums of Nonnegative Circuit Polynomials" (with M. Dressler, S. Iliman) and "Imaginary Projections of Polynomials" (with T. Jörgens, T. Theobald) have been accepted for a talk at MEGA 2017.
- 01/11/2017: The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation) accepted me into the Emmy Noether Programme. The DFG will fund a Junior Research Group under my direction at the Technical University Berlin starting in July 2017.
- 10/01/2016: My undergraduate research student Jacob Hartzer and I have completed the first alpha version of our software package "Maximal_Mediated_Sets.sage".
- 09/01/2016: Jens Forsgård, Laura Matusevich, and Nathan Mehlhop (who worked as an undergrad research student with Laura and me) have finished our new article "Lopsided Approximation of Amoebas". I have also written a corresponding software "Lopsided_Amoeba_Approximation".
- 07/20/2016: Mareike Dressler, Sadik Iliman, and I finished our article "A Positivstellensatz for Sums of Nonnegative Circuit Polynomials".
- 02/21/2016: Mareike Dressler, Sadik Iliman, and I finished our article "An Approach to Constrained Polynomial Optimization via Nonnegative Circuit Polynomials and Geometric Programming".
- 02/11/2016: My article "Intersections of Amoebas" (joint with Martina Juhnke-Kubitzke) has been accepted for a poster presentation on FPSAC '16.
- 02/08/2016: This is a really nice day. Thorsten Jörgens, Thorsten Theobald, and I finished our article "Imaginary Projections of Polynomials". Also, my article "Lower Bounds for Polynomials with Simplex Newton Polytopes Based on Geometric Programming" (joint with Sadik Iliman) has been accepted by the SIAM Journal on Optimization today.
- 10/28/2015: After three years of work (with some breaks in between) Martina Juhnke-Kubitzke and I finally finished our article Intersections of Amoebas.
- 10/22/2015: My article "Norms of Roots of Trinomials" (joint with Thorsten Theobald) has been accepted by Mathematische Annalen. Recently, my article "Amoebas, Nonnegative Polynomials and Sums of Squares Supported on Circuits", (joint with Sadik Iliman) has been accepted by Research in the Mathematical Sciences.
- 09/23/2015: The first alpha version of our software "
Viro.sage" for using Viro Patchworking in
SAGE went online today. This is joint work with Chris O'Neill and Emma Owusu Kwaakwah. The development will go on and new features will be added soon.
Last Update: Feburary 15, 2017