Required Text S. Leon and S. Colley: Math 311: Linear algebra and Vector calculus at Texas A&M University (Ed. 1), Pearson Custom Publishing, Boston, Mass. 2012 ISBN 978-0-536-74402-9
Prerequisites Math 221, 251 or 253; Math 308 or concurrent enrollment, or junior or senior classification or approval of instructor. Credit will not be given for more than one of Math 304, 309, 311 or 323.
|below 60%||no guarantees|
Note: Q-drop deadline is Friday November 17 (5 PM)
SCHOLASTIC DISHONESTY: Copying work done by others, either in-class or out of class, is an act of scholastic dishonesty and will be prosecuted to the full extent allowed by University policy. Collaboration on assignments, either in-class or out-of-class, is forbidden unless permission to do so is granted by your instructor. For more information on university policies regarding scholastic dishonesty, see University Student Rules.
Aggie Honor Code: "An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal or tolerate those who do."Americans with Disabilities Act
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal anti-discrimination statute that provides comprehensive civil rights protection for persons with disabilities. Among other things, this legislation requires that all students with disabilities be guaranteed a learning environment that provides for reasonable accommodation of their disabilities. If you believe you have a disability requiring an accommodation, please contact the Department of Student Life, Services for Students with Disabilities, in Room 126 of the Koldus Building or call 845-1637.
Nature and Content of Course: The first 60% of the course is devoted to linear algebra, with a strong bias toward applications to analysis. The remaining 40% is devoted to the material traditionally called vector calculus (or vector analysis), along with some other topics in advanced calculus which provide nice applications of the linear algebra covered in the first part. Course content includes: matrices, determinants, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues, eigenvectors diagonalization of symmetric matrices. Vector analysis, including normal derivatives, gradient, divergence, curl, line and surface integrals, Gauss', Green's and Stoke's theorems. Prerequisite: MATH 251 and MATH 308, or current enrollment therein.
Attendance and Make-up Policy: Class attendance is required. Make-ups (or satisfactory equivalents) will be given only in cases authorized under TAMU Regulations. In borderline cases, your instructor will decide whether or not the excuse is authorized. Also, if you miss a test, contact your instructor immediately. All printed hand-outs and web materials are protected by US Copyright Laws. No multiple copies can be made without written permission by the instructor.