Instructor: Prof. J. Maurice Rojas
(replacing Prof. Tretkoff from Oct. 24 onward)
Web Page: http://www.math.tamu.edu/~rojas
Office Hours:Thursdays 12:00-2:00PM, and by appointment, in Blocker 620C
14. Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2017: Please read Sections 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, and 5.2 over the break. There will be no homework other than this reading, and attempting THESE practice problems. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving break!
13. Monday, Nov. 20, 2017: Just to reiterate something that I mentioned earlier in lecture: You can actually get a lot of information about matrices without actually knowing their entries. In particular, a hint for Problem #3 on HW#7 is that (a) you need not solve for the entries of A and (b) you do not need to find a basis for the right nullspace or left nullspace. In particular, there are infinitely many matrices A satisfying the stated properties. More to the point, all you are asked about is the dimensions of the left and right nullspaces. So, if you know the rank of A, you can easily find the desired subspace dimensions via the 4 Subspaces Theorem!
12. Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2017: Since we didn't cover the hints I wanted to, I've postponed HW#7 until next Tuesday (Nov. 21). We'll continue our last example today on Thursday (Nov. 16) and see more hints on HW#7, as well as the 4 Subspaces Theorem...
11. Friday, Nov. 10, 2017: HW#7, due
Thursday, Nov. 16,
Tuesday, Nov. 21, can be downloaded HERE.
10. Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017: Office hours tomorrow (Thu, Nov. 9) will be moved to Monday, Nov. 13, 1-3pm.
9. Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017: I'm still grading exams, so office hours tomorrow (Thursday, Nov. 2) are cancelled. In any case, I'll be going over Midterm II in detail tomorrow (along with covering Sec. 6.2 of Leon).
8. Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017: For those of you without the 8th edition of Leon, HERE is a pdf scan of the problems. (Sorry some it got cut off at the edges: I'll post the missing text shortly...)
7. Monday, Oct. 30, 2017: Note: If you have trouble seeing updated files here, it's most likely a browser-caching problem: Clear the cache on your browser so your browser will download the latest version, instead of going to an older locally-stored version...
6. Monday, Oct. 30, 2017: There was a minor error in the solution to Problem #9 of the practice problems. So I corrected the error, and also added solutions to two problems from Sec. 6.1.
5. Sunday, Oct. 29, 2017: HERE are solutions
most all of the practice problems are now posted.
Note: Regarding Markov Chains, I won't be asking
anything really heavy in this direction. I will, however, certainly
ask you about eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
4. Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017: Some clarifications on our upcoming Midterm II:
3. Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017: Office hours today will start at 12:30. See you soon...
2. Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2017: Practice problems for Midterm II, and
our next HW,
will be posted here later this afternoon
are available now:
HERE is a pdf with some practice problems.
Also, HW #6 (due Thursday, Nov. 2 Tuesday, Nov. 7)
consists of the following problems:
1, 2, 7, 33, 34 (Sec. 6.1) and 2, 11 (Sec. 6.2), from the 8th edition.
(I'll post a scan of the pages shortly...)
1. Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2017: Greetings! You can read more about me at my web-page: www.math.tamu.edu/~rojas. In the mean time, here are some key points from my first lecture yesterday: