Eric C. Rowell
Department of Mathematics
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-3368
Office hours: W 2:30-3:30pm.
E-mail: rowell “at”
(979) 845-2833 Non-functioning
after August 2011 due to budget cuts (no
Fax: (979) 845-6028
Papers, Preprints and CV
I am an associate professor in the Texas A&M
mathematics department. My research is on the mathematical
foundations of topological phases of matter (which is the subject of
Nobel Prize in Physics). I am also a consultant for Microsoft
Q. Previously, I was a VIGRE postdoc
at Indiana University. I
Ph.D. in mathematics from UC San Diego
in 2003, under the direction of Hans Wenzl.
Research Group: (current as of Spring
- PI: NSA Grant (March 2008-March 2010)
- PI: NSA Grant (March
- PI: NSF Grant
- PI: NSA Grant (March
2012-March 2014) (awarded, but declined in favor of NSF support)
- PI: NSF Grant (December
La Falda slides (9/09)
South Alabama Colloquium Seminar
Tyler slides (10/09)
Fudan University slides (7/10)
QC Seminar I
Regional Algebra Conf. (10/10)
Simons Center (11/10
not delivered) Poster
QC Seminar I
and II (Sept/Oct 2012)
Magnitogorsk talk I talk II (July 2014)
Zhenghan Wang's Frontiers Lectures:
(March 2015) talk1,
Tec de Monterrey-CEM talk1, talk2 (October 2015)
AMS Salt Lake
City (April 2016)
Beihang University (June 2016)
14-19, 2016: Modular
Categories--their Representations, Classification and Applications
CMO, Oaxaca, MX
- January 4-7, 2017: Special Session at the
JMM, Atlanta, GA.
- April 1-2, 2017: Special Session
at AMS Central Meeting, Bloomington, IN
- July 24-28, 2017 Sepcial Session
"Mathematics of Quantum Phases of Matter and Quantum Information" Math Congress of the Americas.
Centre Mont-Royal and McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
Schedule (reverse chronological order)
- July 24-28, 2017: Math.
Congress of the Americas, Montreal, Canada.
- July 17-21, 2017: Probabilistic and algebraic
methods in quantum information theory, Texas A&M (home!)
- July 4-6, 2017: Quantum
Physics and Geometry, Trento, Italy.
- June 15-July 13: Sweden, UK, Italy, Finland.
- May 28-June 9, 2017: Tensor Categories and Field
Theories: U. Melborne, Sydney, and Canberra, Australia.
- April 1-2, 2017: Special Session of AMS,
- January 8-13, 2017: Consulting at Microsoft Station Q
- January 4-7, 2017: Joint Mathematics
Meetings, Atlanta, GA.
- December 18-24, 2016: Subfactors
Physics, Sanya, China.
- December 7-9, 2016: Seminar
at the Ohio State U., Columbus, OH.
- October 26-28, 2016: IX Reunion de la dICu,
- September 24-25, 2016: AMS Eastern Sectional,
- September 5-9, 2016: Hopf
Algebras and Tensor Categories, Chern Institute, Tianjin, China.
- August 14-19, 2016: Modular Categories--Their
Representations, Classification, and Applications, Oaxaca, Mexico
- August 6-13, 2016: Oaxaca with family.
- July 25-29, 2016: Consulting at Microsoft Station Q, Santa Barbara, CA.
- July 12-25, 2016: San Diego, CA
- July 3-9, 2016: Modelling
Topological Phases of Matter, University of Leeds, UK
- May 29-June 25, 2016: Study Abroad, Beijing, China.
- May 9-13, 2016: AIM SQuaRE, San Jose, CA
- April 9-10, 2016: AMS sectional, Salt Lake City, UT.
- January 10-16, 2016: USC colloquium, Consulting
Station Q (Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, CA)
- December 8-11, 2015: Visit PNNL, Richland, WA
Foundations of Mathematics (Spring 2016)
Resources on the Web:
Mathematics Genealogy E.R.--H. Wenzl--V.F.R.
Jones--A. Haefliger--C. Ehresmann--E.
Cartan--(G. Darboux and S. Lie)...14 generations from G. Leibniz (Ph.D
- Erdos Number: 3:
Erdos--R. Graham--R. Stong--E.C.R. (actually R. Graham was on my
Ph.D. thesis committee, so maybe that gives me a 2.5.)
MuTianYu section of Great Wall, September 2013
Last updated June 2016 or later.