Eric C. Rowell
Department of Mathematics
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-3368
Office hours: W2-3pm
E-mail: rowell “at”
(979) 845-2833 Non-functioning
after August 2011 due to budget cuts (no
Fax: (979) 845-6028
Papers, Preprints and CV
I am an associate professor in the Texas A&M
mathematics department. My research is on the mathematical
foundations of topological phases of matter (which is the subject of
Nobel Prize in Physics). I am also a consultant for Microsoft
Q. Previously, I was a VIGRE postdoc
at Indiana University. I
Ph.D. in mathematics from UC San Diego
in 2003, under the direction of Hans Wenzl.
Research Group: (current as of Fall
- PI: NSA Grant (March 2008-March 2010)
- PI: NSA Grant (March
- PI: NSF Grant
- PI: NSA Grant (March
2012-March 2014) (awarded, but declined in favor of NSF support)
- PI: NSF Grant (December
14-19, 2016: Modular
Categories--their Representations, Classification and Applications
CMO, Oaxaca, MX
- January 4-7, 2017: Special Session at the
JMM, Atlanta, GA.
- April 1-2, 2017: Special Session
at AMS Central Meeting, Bloomington, IN
- July 24-28, 2017 Sepcial Session
"Mathematics of Quantum Phases of Matter and Quantum Information" Math Congress of the Americas.
Centre Mont-Royal and McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- Spring 2020, MSRI Semester: Quantum Symmetries,
Berkeley, CA (with Jones, Morrison, Peters, Snyder,
Schedule (reverse chronological order)
- February 28-March 2, 2018: Leeds, UK
- February 16-18, 2018: Texas Geometry and Topology Conference, U. Houston.
- January 9-13, 2018: JMM, San Diego, CA.
- December 1-9, 2017: visiting Microsoft Station Q, Santa Barbara CA.
- November 4-5, 2017: AMS Sectional, Riverside, CA.
- September 9-10, 2017: AMS Sectional, Denton, TX.
- August 5-26, 2017: San Diego
- July 31-August 3, 2017: Kitaev Models, Perimiter Institute, Waterloo, Canada.
- July 24-28, 2017: Math.
Congress of the Americas, Montreal, Canada.
- July 17-21, 2017: Probabilistic
methods in quantum information theory, Texas A&M (home!)
- July 4-6, 2017: Quantum
Physics and Geometry, Trento, Italy.
- June 15-July 13: Sweden, Italy, Finland.
- May 28-June 9, 2017: Tensor Categories and Field
Theories: U. Melborne, Sydney, and Canberra, Australia.
- April 13, 2017: Visit Aaronson's UT Theory Group: UT
- April 1-2, 2017: Special Session of AMS,
- January 8-13, 2017: Consulting at Microsoft Station Q
- January 4-7, 2017: Joint Mathematics
Meetings, Atlanta, GA.
- December 18-24, 2016: Subfactors
Physics, Sanya, China.
- December 7-9, 2016: Seminar
at the Ohio State U., Columbus, OH.
- October 26-28, 2016: IX Reunion de la dICu,
Foundations of Mathematics (Fall 2017)
Presentations and Talk Slides:
Zhenghan Wang's Frontiers Lectures:
(March 2015) talk1,
Beihang University (June 2016)
Mathematics Genealogy E.R.--H. Wenzl--V.F.R.
Jones--A. Haefliger--C. Ehresmann--E.
Cartan--(G. Darboux and S. Lie)...14 generations from G. Leibniz (Ph.D
- Erdos Number: 3:
Erdos--R. Graham--R. Stong--E.C.R. (actually R. Graham was on my
Ph.D. thesis committee, so maybe that gives me a 2.5.)
MuTianYu section of Great Wall, September 2013
Last updated August 2017 or later.