Math Awareness Month
Each year, the month of April is designated the Mathematics Awareness Month by
- the American Mathematical Society
- the American Statistical Association
- the Mathematical Association of America
- the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
to recognize the importance of mathematics. In 2015 the theme of Math Awareness Month is Math Drives Careers.
Math Fair Schedule
|9:00–9:30||Registration (Blocker lobby)|
|9:30–9:45||Welcome: Prof. Emil Straube
Overview: Prof. Robert Gustafson (BLOC 166)
|9:45–11:00||Problem Solving Contests (BLOC 166)|
|9:45–12:00||Mathematical Art (BLOC 220)|
|9:45–12:00||Mathematical Games and Activities (BLOC 202 and 203)|
|9:45–12:00||Movie: Counting From Infinity (BLOC 164)
|11:00–12:00||Buzz contest led by Prof. Doug Hensley
|12:00–12:30||Pizza Lunch (BLOC 148)|
|12:30-1:00||Talk by Prof. Riad Masri (BLOC 166)|
|1:00–1:30||Contest Awards (BLOC 166)|
Free Parking in unmarked, unnumbered spaces in
lots 50 and 51.
If you park in Northside Garage across from Blocker, you will have to pay
the parking fee.
Problem Solving Contests:
- 2013 Grades K-2:problems,solutions
- 2013 Grades 3-4:problems,solutions
- 2013 Grades 5-6:problems,solutions
- 2013 Grades 7-9:problems,solutions
- 2012 Grades K-4: problems, solutions.
- 2012 Grades 5-7: problems, solutions.
- 2012 Grades 8-12: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades K-4: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades 5-7: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades 8-12: problems, solutions.
Recommended links (internal)
- Department of Mathematics at Texas A&M University
- TAMU Math programs for public schools
- A list of Enjoyable Books on Math and Science
- Entertain yourself with optical illusions
Recommended links (external)
- Math Awareness Month national website
- World's leading math prizes
- The American Math Competitions page
- PBS NOVA Math resources page
- Math in the Movies
- Magic of Math: Books on Math and Science for Students
- Math Puzzles and Fun links
- Encyclopedia of Mathematical Terms
Last modified on Friday, 27-Mar-2015 10:53:06 CDT.