Math Awareness Month
Each year, the month of April is designated the Mathematics Awareness Month by
In 2014 the theme of the Awareness Month is Mathematics, Magic, & Mystery
Activities at Texas A&M University
Math Mini Fair -- Saturday April 12
from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Free Parking in in unmarked, unnumbered spaces in
lots 50 and 51. If you park in Northside Garage
across from Blocker, you will have to pay the parking fee.
|9:00-9:15||Registration (Blocker lobby)|
|9:15-9:30||Welcome and Overview: Dr. Paulo Lima-Filho (BLOC 166)|
|9:30-10:30||Talk by Distinguished Professor Peter Kuchment (BLOC 166)|
|10:30–12:00||Problem Solving Contests (BLOC 166)|
|10:30–12:00||Mathematical Games and Activities (BLOC 163 and BLOC 148)|
|10:30–11:25||Movie: Between the folds (link is to the movie trailer on
YouTube). (BLOC 164)
|11:25–12:10||Movie: Hard Problems (link is to the movie trailer on
YouTube). (BLOC 164)
|12:00–12:30||Pizza Lunch (BLOC 148)|
|12:30-1:30||"Some simple card tricks and universal cycles" : Talk by Dr. Jacob White (BLOC 166)|
|1:30–2:00||Contest Awards (BLOC 166)|
|2:00–5:00||After Hours: Eleusis Competition (BLOC 148) for those interested, both kids and adults. Eleusis Rules|
Here are the problems and solutions from the 2011/2012 Problem Solving Contests:
- 2013 Grades K-2:problems,solutions
- 2013 Grades 3-4:problems,solutions
- 2013 Grades 5-6:problems,solutions
- 2013 Grades 7-9:problems,solutions
- 2012 Grades K-4: problems, solutions.
- 2012 Grades 5-7: problems, solutions.
- 2012 Grades 8-12: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades K-4: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades 5-7: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades 8-12: problems, solutions.
Recommended links (internal)
- Department of Mathematics at Texas A&M University
- TAMU Math programs for public schools
- A list of Enjoyable Books on Math and Science
- Entertain yourself with optical illusions
Recommended links (external)
- Math Awareness Month national website
- World's leading math prizes
- The American Math Competitions page
- PBS NOVA Math resources page
- Math in the Movies
- Magic of Math: Books on Math and Science for Students
- Math Puzzles and Fun links
- Encyclopedia of Mathematical Terms
Last modified on Monday, 24-Mar-2014 15:11:03 CDT.