Math Awareness Month
Each year, the month of April is designated the Mathematics Awareness Month by
In 2013 the theme of the Awareness Month is the Mathematics of Sustainability
Activities at Texas A&M University
Math Mini Fair -- Saturday April 20
from 9:00 am - 1:30 pm
Free Parking in in unmarked, unnumbered spaces in
lots 50 and 51. If you park in Northside Garage
across from Blocker, you will have to pay the parking fee.
|9:00-9:30||Registration (Blocker lobby)|
|9:30-9:45||Welcome and Overview: Dr. Jean Marie Linhart (BLOC 102)|
|9:45–11:00||Problem Solving Contests (BLOC 102)|
Mathematical Art -- enjoy and create! (BLOC 148)
Mathematical Art Competition for K-9
Art may be made on site or brought in.
Art for the contest must be complete by 11:00 am.
Ideas for mathematical art are below
|9:45–12:00||Mathematical Games and Activities (BLOC 163)|
|9:45–11:45||Movies: Stand and Deliver (link is to the movie trailer on
YouTube). (BLOC 169)
|9:45–12:00||Videos and computer animations (BLOC 166)
|12:00–12:30||Pizza Lunch (BLOC 102)|
|12:15–1:00||Flatland the Movie or Sphereland the Movie (BLOC 102)|
|1:00–1:30||Contest Awards (BLOC 102)|
- Wikipedia's article on Mathematics and Art
- Fractal Art
- The Fibonacci numbers, which often appear in nature.
- The Fibonacci numbers are related to the golden ratio, which frequently appears in art and architecture. Here's even more information.
- Jill Zarestky from TAMU's math department teaches a class on Arts & Crafts & Maths. Check out the final project photos from 2010 and from 2009.
- Virtual Math Museum exhibit on Math and Art
- Mathematical poetry: blog on Mathematical Poetry, examples of mathematical poems, and there are many more if you want to search for them.
- Zen Tangles and more tangle patterns.
- You definitely shouldn't miss Vi Hart's Doodling in Math Class videos.
Here are the problems and solutions from the 2011/2012 Problem Solving Contests:
- 2012 Grades K-4: problems, solutions.
- 2012 Grades 5-7: problems, solutions.
- 2012 Grades 8-12: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades K-4: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades 5-7: problems, solutions.
- 2011 Grades 8-12: problems, solutions.
Recommended links (internal)
- Department of Mathematics at Texas A&M University
- TAMU Math programs for public schools
- A list of Enjoyable Books on Math and Science
- Entertain yourself with optical illusions
Recommended links (external)
- Math Awareness Month national website
- World's leading math prizes
- The American Math Competitions page
- PBS NOVA Math resources page
- Math in the Movies
- Magic of Math: Books on Math and Science for Students
- Math Puzzles and Fun links
- Encyclopedia of Mathematical Terms
Last modified on Friday, 19-Apr-2013 18:44:00 CDT.